A guide on finding work, claiming benefits and advice about pensions if you’re made redundant

Being made redundant is challenging. This guidance explains the support and information available to help you find a new job, understand what benefits you can claim and provide you with useful sources of information.

Help to get another job

Your local jobcentre can help you:

  • get the best job matches
  • find out what training options are available and refer you to these
  • organise work trials (if you’re eligible)
  • get any extra help at work if you’re disabled, for example, Access to Work
  • claim money if you’re eligible to help meet costs for travel, childcare, tools or equipment

Find a job

Use the Find a job service to search and apply for jobs. You can:

  • create and manage your own account
  • tailor your job search to the jobs you are looking for
  • create a profile and upload your CV
  • receive email alerts about vacancies

Other places to look for jobs

You can:

  • visit company websites or visit them in person – many employers don’t advertise their vacancies but have a vacancies section on their website where you may be able to apply online
  • visit Job help for advice on looking for work, applying for jobs and about different types of jobs that are available
  • read newspapers and trade journals – find out what day your local newspaper advertises jobs
  • speak to your family and friends to ask if they know of any vacancies
  • look on social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn and like or follow employers you may like to work for
  • check with your local jobcentre or in newspapers for local jobsfairs


Apprentices are for people aged 16 or over and combine working with studying to gain skills and knowledge in a specific job. Find out more about:


Find out about setting up your own business.

Get help and advice from:

Other job search websites

There are many websites that advertise jobs, here are some of them:

If you have manufacturing, engineering or scientific skills, register with the Talent Retention Solution.

You can also register with recruitment agencies specialising in your field of work. Find your local recruitment agencies on the Recruitment Employment Confederation website.

Help to improve your skills

Your local jobcentre can help you identify your skills, experience, career aspirations and potential training needs. They could also help arrange vocational training.

Find information to help you plan your career, build a CV and find a job.

You may consider voluntary work to help you get new skills.

Claiming benefits

Use a benefits calculator to find out what benefits you could get.

Universal Credit is a payment to help with living costs. Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply for Universal Credit.

If you have worked and paid enough National Insurance contributions, usually within the last 2 tax years, you may be able to claim a benefit based on your contributions. Find out about:

Read about your rights if:

If your employer is insolvent, find out how to apply for redundancy pay, holiday pay, statutory notice pay and any other money you’re owed by your employer from the Insolvency Service.

Acas (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) provides free and impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law, including redundancy.

If you live in Scotland

Partnership Action for Continuing Employment is the Scottish Government’s partnership framework, helping people dealing with redundancy.

Or phone the Scottish redundancy helpline on 0800 917 8000.

If you live in Wales

The Welsh Government’s redundancy action scheme is aimed to help people dealing with redundancy. There are various sources of help available.

Budgeting and money advice

Get money advice and help with budgeting from:

Coping with redundancy

If you need to talk to someone about coping with redundancy, get in touch with


If you’ve reached or are approaching pension age you may need advice about pensions or retirement.

To find out what happens about your workplace pension, please ask your previous employer or pension provider

Use the Check your State Pension service to find out how much State Pension you could get, when you can get it and how to increase it, if you can.

If you’re aged 50 or over and have a defined contribution pension you can have a free, impartial guidance appointment with Pension Wise.

Get independent advice on pensions and find out how pensions may be affected by insolvency from the Pension Protection Fund.

Source of article: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/redundancy-help-finding-work-and-claiming-benefits