A Walmart store was evacuated when an employee accidentally broke a cooling line in a refrigeration unit and caused a gas leak.

The Pittsfield Fire Department reported that it was spraying Freon gas all around the Berkshire Crossing store.

The Massachusetts State Hazardous Materials team was activated on “Tier 1” in response to the incident, which happened at roughly 5:15 a.m.

Fire department employees also responded.

READ MORE: WALMART ADDS 60 NEW JOBS IN ATLANTA WITH INHOME DELIVERY EXPANSION

As stated in the report, the team separated and shut down the system and ventilated the premises.

There were no injuries recorded.

Deputy Fire Chief Daniel Garner said: “It’s very challenging to evacuate all of the Freon out of the building,”

The store was closed for several hours, reopening in the afternoon.

Looking for a new job? Find the WhatJobs Career Advice Center here

Freon is a colorless, odorless gas. When breathed deeply, it can deprive cells and lungs of oxygen.

The gas can also have a significant influence on a person’s air quality and health.

Refrigeration poisoning is a dangerous illness that can include breathing difficulties, headaches, nausea and vomiting, skin and eye irritation, and coughing.

Source: BerkshireEagle

Follow us on YouTubeTwitterLinkedIn, and Facebook.