Positive coronavirus test report of a child at a Gloucester nursery forced children and staff to self-isolate.
Into-Play, the Gloucester based nursery, received information from the infected child’s parents about the positive COVID-19 test result in the evening of Thursday, July 30. Prior to that, the nursery was not aware of the pending test results.
All the children and staff attending the year group of the child have been sent on self-isolation for 14 days. They can return on August 14.
One of the parents of a child attending the nursery said, “My wife was days away from new employment before lockdown, but obviously to save money the company have only just hired her so we have been under some quite tight financial pressures during the lockdown.
“To be seemingly coming out the other end and then to find a parent had knowingly done this made my blood boil. For a normally calm person I was unbelievably angry and outraged that someone thinks this is acceptable.
“The entire class of three and four-year-olds are now having to isolate which now means their parents also need to take time off work as they can’t be left at home alone.
“I don’t think I can convey just how annoyed both my wife and I were with the actions of this family.”
Those children who did not attend the nursery on July 30, have been allowed to attend the nursery without any restrictions.
Into-Play sent a letter to parents stating that they had a confirmed case of coronavirus within the group at the affected nursery.
“We were notified late on Thursday evening (8.45 pm) that the child had just received a positive test result,” they said.
“We were unfortunately unaware that the child had undergone a test. The child came into the nursery on Thursday, July 30, whilst their test results were pending, as they felt well, and the parent did not expect a positive result. The child had been tested as a precaution as they had been“under the weather” but had not displayed the usual symptoms.
“Due to the time of night we were alerted, our first and immediate port of call was to contact and seek advice from the Public Health Team, as per the government guidance.
“They were called swiftly on Thursday evening by our line manager. Due to the time of night and the fact they are experiencing high volumes of calls, a call-back was not made until early Friday morning after we had made a follow up call.
“Until we had sought advice, we were unable to notify all parents/staff as we needed to be sure we were following correct procedure.
“The advice given was that as there had been exposure within the nursery, all parents of the children who may have had direct contact with the infected child on Thursday, July 30, must be contacted and advised that their child is unable to attend our setting and must self-isolate for 14 days.
“Likewise, all staff who had direct contact with the child also have to self-isolate for 14 days, thus meaning all teams in that group are now unavailable to work for the next two weeks.”